new background

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Walking in Memphis...

So for anyone who knew me in dental school, I was not the biggest fan of Memphis.  When we found out we would be coming back to Memphis for my pediatric dentistry residency, Brian and I were so so excited about me starting the program but a little worried about Memphis.  We haven't had a ton of nice things to say about the people you deal with day to day in Memphis and when we moved back here a couple of weeks ago we were expecting the worst.  It is like the Memphis Tourism Bureau had tapped into our house and every situation we've been in since we've moved back has been rigged to prove us wrong.  Everyone has been overly nice at grocery stores, gas stations, on the phone setting up utilities, restaurants...to the point that its getting scary.  Soooo maybe I need to retract everything I said about Memphis.  We'll see. 

Anyway we came here a few months ago looking for a house and were having a hard time finding something to rent.  We looked all weekend and had no luck, so we started just driving around looking for homes for sale with the idea that we might just cold call someone and try to talk them into renting to us for two years instead of buy.  We happened to pass this cute yellow house with a For Sale sign in High Point on Oakley Avenue just as the owners were driving in the driveway.  We hit the brakes, rolled down the window, and said :you guys wouldn't be interested in renting for two years?"  They said, "Maybe, you want to take a look?".  We looked, fell in love with the house and the neighborhood, and the rest is history.  We love love love the house and I'll have pictures up soon.  We moved from a 12 foot wide shotgun double in New Orleans (that's a duplex anywhere else in the country) to a 3 bedroom house with a den and living room and dining room, sooooo we have some furniture buying left to do. 

Since I wrote about New Orleans food, I'll have to mention the top few places that I HAD to visit after returning to Memphis.  Number one on our list is Central BBQ Memphis.  Brian and I both agree that this is hands down the best BBQ in Memphis.  I love the half bbq nachos:
The other spot I had to go to was the Little Tea Shop.  It is another one of my Memphis favorites.  Don't let the name fool you- it is not tea and crumpets- it is amazing home cooked meat and vegetable with a different daily special each week day.  It is a spot where Memphis lawyers and businessman are known on a first name basis and where the regulars have their usual table.  The owner knows everyone, and if you go there enough she will put your picture on the wall (when I left Memphis we finally made the wall!).  Corn sticks are served with every meal and they are delicious!

Another spot that I can't believe I haven't been to since we have been back is Kooky Canuck (formerly Big Foot).  I will go there soon and will have to take pictures of their GIANT burgers and most amazing chocolate chip cookie ice cream dessert.  The owner, Shawn Danko, was so great to all of us in dental school, and it was the spot we would always head any time we finished a big test or a year of school or really any other excuse.  Ok that's enough rambling for tonight....

No comments:

Post a Comment