new background

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Memphis Eats: Dinner at Sweet Grass, Brunch at the Arcade

This weekend, my mom and and dad came into town to visit.  We pretty much ate the entire weekend.  Oh, and my mom spent her required two hours (and two visits) at the Pottery Barn and Williams Sonoma Outlets.  We had a great weekend and tried a new restaurant and loved it!  We will definitely be back.  We always talk about what restaurant we would take our friends from out of town to when they visit, and Sweet Grass just took over the number one spot.  We also love Harry's Detour and I'll have to take some pictures there soon.  Sweet Grass is in Cooper Young at 937 South Cooper Street.  They have Small Plates, Medium Plates, and Large Plates.  I really love that because I like eating an entree but am usually not hungry for a big entree and this makes you be able to try a small plate and medium plate and not spend a ton of money, which is what I did and it was delicious.  They also have a good wine list and every bottle is $26 which I also think is cool.  That way Brian and I don't have to do our usual awkward picking the second to least expensive bottle off of a fancy list. 

I started with the Fresh Vegetable Gazpacho.  It was delicious, refreshing, flavorful, and light.  We got on a gazpacho kick in New Orleans and I have been looking for somewhere here that can satisfy the craving, and the gazpacho at Sweet Grass measured up.  We had gazpacho at Hunt Phelan (the rest of our dinner was really good) and it was almost like a tomato chutney.  It was too thick and too sweet and we couldn't eat it.  We did take it to go, and I put it on top of a pork tenderloin the next night and it was really good.  Anyway, get the gazpacho at Sweet Grass.  It is perfect. 
After the gazpacho, I had the Chicken Jambalaya.  After spending two years having every kind of yummy jambalaya in New Orleans, I was a little nervous to order it here.  It ended up being great though!  Didn't taste like the New Orleans style jambalaya, but I like this Memphis style.  It was really fresh tasting and not as heavy and the flavor was delicious.  It had chicken and sausage and country ham with tomatoes and corn and okra.  The combination was yummy:

Brian had the Pork Osso Bucco which was soooo good.  It was extremely tender and the flavor was so great.  He wants to go back already and get it again.  He had already eaten half of it before I could take a picture so no picture, but really delicious.  Mom had the scallops and they were yummy:
Dad and Jenn had the shrimp and grits and said they were great.  They also had a couple scallops on top and everyone loved the scallops.  So, overall Sweet Grass gets two thumbs up.  We will be back very soon, and itis new at the top of the list for visitors!  I embarassed everyone (ok just Jennifer was embarassed, but she gets embarassed if you ask someone for directions) and took a picture with the chef, Ryan Trimm.  I told him it was for my blog and he would probably be disappointed if he saw I only had 8 followers, but oh well!
And some pics with mom, dad, Jenn, and Brian:

For breakfast yesterday, we went to Brother Juniper's and it was a hit.  For breakfast today, we headed to the Arcade Restaurant.  It was founded in 1919 by Speros Zepatos and is Memphis' oldest restaurant. 
I had the sweet potato pancakes, and they were really good.  The pancakes were a close second to the sweet potato pancakes at the Pancake Pantry in Nashville.  The Arcade is always a good breakfast with standard breakfast food and a cool atmosphere. Brother Juniper's still has the best breakfast in Memphis so far, but the Arcade gets style points for being the oldest restaurant in Memphis!

No comments:

Post a Comment